Saturday, October 8, 2016

The benefits of daily sketching.

Daily drawing is one of these moves I've taken lately and the question that keeps on floating in my mind is will I ever see a change in what I do. In style, in technique, and, the most important, in state of mind.

I've been sketching a lot lately. More than a lot. one of the the goals is to sketch daily, as much as possible. It's not always happening but the intention is definitely there. There are days when I draw more than two or three hours and there are some when I don't draw at all.

The idea behind this is to just do stuff. To see progress one must do. Do anything but stay still.
To master a technique. To create a state of mind. To move from one goal to another. And that could be accomplished only by movement.

Recently I've read an interview with Tammie Bennet who talks about the moves she's taken to become the artist she is today. It inspired me and I'd like to share it here.

"...I remembered something my law school roommate had told me. Her English professor had said, “a writer writes.” I figured if I created art every day, then an artist I would be.  

"So on October 9, 2012, I filled a page in my sketchbook. It was not very pretty, but I didn’t judge the work or get discouraged. The next day I showed up to my sketchbook again and filled a page. My streak of a page a day in my sketchbook is still going strong 4 years later. I haven’t missed a single day." Read on....




No comments:

Post a Comment